pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Hot, Hot, Hot!

This is another layout I designed for Kiki Art DT and it shows my son's first bonfire, 6 years ago in Lag Ba'Omer. It was celebrated with all the kids from his kindergarten. In the beginning he was a little worried, but after a while he joined the fun.




















For those of you who don't know what Lag Ba'Omer is, here is the short version of the story: Lag-BaOmer is a Jewish holiday celebrated around the month of May, with outings, bonfires, and other joyous events. It all began 2000 years ago when the Roman Empire ruled the land of Israel. A young military leader named Bar-Kochva (son of the stars) succeeded in organizing a rebellion against the Romans. An army was organized and the war went on for 6 years. On the day of Lag-BaOmer, the Jewish rebels re-conquered Jerusalem and Jewish independence was restored. After the battle Bar Kochva’s men lit bonfires on the mountains to announce the victory. Since then every year it is custom to light a bonfire.






























I usually don’t like layouts on black paper, but I decided this time it was just right. The colors of the fire were almost as vibrant as they were in reality against the black background.
For the fire, I cut flames from yellow and orange papers and glitter chipboards. For extra dimension I cut swirls from a patterned paper. To complete the fire I used some swirly stamps with yellow and orange inks. I tore the edges of all the photos and journaling blocks and inked them in black. This gave them a burnt scorched look.
I added the title in English and the journaling in Hebrew. The journaling says: “what fun we had at your first bonfire. We celebrated it with all your friends from kindergarten”. May 2004.

2 comments:

  1. Just adorable! You captured his experience - perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great layout. I love the black background, and I love the fire. Thank you for sharing the tradition. I had no idea :)

    ReplyDelete