pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

How it all began: My story

Everybody has a story about how it all began. That moment when they started crafting and set in motion a lifetime of fun and creativity. Today I want to share my story. It is a very personal and even emotional story for me because it is connected to some of my favorite people in the world. If you want the short version you can read it on my ABOUT page in the new website, but if you want a glimpse to where I'm coming from keep reading.

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

It all started when I was a small girl, about six years old I was sitting in my grandparents living room with a huge scrapbook on my knees looking through the photos of faraway places my grandparents visited. As a master bookbinder, my grandfather built a nee scrapbook from scratch for every trip he and my grandma took. After the book was ready he filled it with photos, postcards, images he cut from magazines, tickets and lots more. I thought it was pure magic.

Years later when my first son was born my grandfather suggested I create a scrapbook for him. This was the first scrapbook I created. In those days there were no scrapbooking supplies in the stores here I had to be creative and create everything from scratch. One day while online I searched the word scrapbooking and BAM!! A whole new world just gushed into my life! I was completely hooked!

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T. S. Eliot

I loved this hobby. Little did I know it was about to change my life and save me...literally. When my son was 4 years old he was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). I was devastated. Not only because all my dreams for him shattered, only to be replaces with endless worrying and questions, but because I knew I had to quit my job and change my life. At that time I was working as a public servant and I knew how my life were going to look for the next 20 years or so. My job required living in other countries for long periods and I knew this is something I couldn't do with an autistic child who needs stability and continuation. I was lost. my life turned upside down. I didn't know what to do...

"Whisper words of wisdom, let it be." - The Beatles
I don't know how or why, some will say it was God others will say the universe, but something whispered softly "you are an artist your job in this world is to make people happy with your art". Suddenly everything clicked. I knew where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I wanted to start my own creative business. My supportive husband backed me up every step of the way and I started on my way.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
I started with designing custom scrapbooks for people's weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, Anniversaries etc. it gave me so much joy to see their faces light up when they looked through the pages. Just like my face all those years ago on my grandparents' carpet. Slowly I branched out to other creative adventures like teaching. A few years ago I decided to go global and joined CHA as a designer member. I started venturing into working with manufacturers, applying for design teams, contributing to websites and getting paid in dollars...

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - John F. Kennedy
I think most of you know the rest of the story. You were there when I started my blog, opened my facebook page and started my Youtube channel. In hindsight I know that creating saved me. it gave me a sense of purpose, a direction and a profession. It gave me strength and an outlet to face all the hardships of being a mother to a special needs child and it gave joy...so much joy. I know now this is what I was meant to do, this is my calling in life, this is the path I'm supposed to walk on. My story is a living proof that God works in mysterious ways and that everything happens for a reason even if we can't see it at first. If you just listen and trust your instincts you will find your way.

Thanks for reading...

Have fun creating! 

  




3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and touching story! I have a nephew who is Autistic and applaud all parents of these truly special children! They may not be what the world considers "normal" but they don't lose the wonder that most of us do as we grow up and I think that is a blessing in a way! If we could all hold onto the wonder and magic then I think the world would be a much better place to live in. Maybe there would be less violence and cruelty and more love and kindness! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart warming story and you are also an artist of words..so very well written. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete