pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

4 Essentials You Need to Know about Mixed Media - Overcoming your fear

This is post #4 in the series 4 Essentials You Need to Know about Mixed Media. Here’s a breakdown again of those essentials:

1. Types of projects

2. Materials

3. Techniques

4. Overcoming your fears

Breaking into a new form of art can be tough and requires some courage. I remember when I was amazed with other forms of mixed media I saw around me thinking to myself "there's no way I'll be able to do that". I was inspired every time I turned around, it seemed, but the idea of actually trying to do something that didn't involve preserving my own memories was extremely intimidating. How could I, just an ordinary woman, find a way to create such unique mixed media pieces?

Time went by and my creative process progressed to a place I was comfortable enough to try something.  I finally found the courage I needed to start experimenting in unknown artistic waters, and as a result was able to develop my style.

I don't know how much other artists have struggled with the idea that what they create will be a copy of another artists work. In some ways, it almost felt like an excuse for me to not even try, despite being a legitimate fear. I do know that all artists wrestle with fear in one form or another. It is a daily struggle, but the more we create, the more we learn and the less fear becomes an obstacle.

You don't need to be an artist to create. Mixed Media is for everyone! you just need to find what works for you and what you feel comfortable doing. 

Here are a few tips to overcome your fear:
  • Start small: You don't need to stress yourself and start with a large canvas. Start by creating an ATC or alter a small wooden box. 
  • Start gradually: trying to use all those materials and mediums at once can be intimidating. Start with one material you're comfortable with like paint and gradually add more mediums.
  • Combine other crafts: Try to combine only a little mixed media in projects you already mastered like scrapbooking or altering. Build your confidence and slowly shift to all mixed media projects.
  • Practice: When you start experimenting with mixed media techniques you don't even need to do a project. Start by playing, trying things on a piece of paper or a sketch book.
  • Don't be afraid to fail: failure is a point of view! Think of those unsuccessful projects as practicing, as perfecting your skills. everybody fails and all artists were beginners once!
  • Get inspired: find some inspiration online. see what others do, but don't compare yourself to them! Everyone is unique!!
I hope you will find your courage and try. I'm here to answer any of your questions and help you get started! 
leave me a comment sharing what's holding you back from trying mixed media and we'll work it out together!

Don't miss out! Keep up with all the crafty goodness by subscribing to the Einat Kessler creative newsletter

Have fun creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment