1. I don't have any formal art or design education. I studied Social Sciences in university when I was 20 years old. Everything I know about arts and crafts I learned myself through trial and error, classes and good friends' advice.
2. I was an officer in the army. In Israel military service is mandatory, and for me it wasn't enough taking orders, I wanted to give them too...I served for almost three years.
3. I lived in Kenya for three years. This amazing country and amazing people still affect my life. I have art pieces in my house that remind me daily of that wonderful period in my life. I even dream about my life there...
4. My favorite food is anything fried. From french fries to doughnuts I find them irresistible. However since it's really bad for me I try to avoid them as much as I can and that's not easy at all!
5. I don't like chocolate. Yes...you read correctly! Never did. For some strange reason I have never developed the taste for it.
6. I come from a family of artistic people with talented hands. My grandmother on my mother's side was an armature actress and my grandfather was a sculpture and painter. They were both teachers who practiced their artistic passions as hobbies. My grandfather on my father's side was a professional actor until he immigrated to Israel and my grandmother was an enthusiast sewer. Today I have a cousin who's an actor, a sister who's an interior designer, an aunt who's an amazing painter and a mother who writes poetry and paints. I guess genes do matter...
7. I'm short. My height is only 4 ft. 11 in. or 150 cm. When I took my physical check up before joining the army the doctor said he'll write 151cm, so I won't feel bad :)
8. My oldest son is 16 and he's Autistic. Life with him can be challenging and frustrating, but it's mostly amazing! This boy has taught me so much about who I am and what I want to be and gave me the most precious gift: Being an artist. You can read more about it here.
9. I really dislike hot drinks. I don't like coffee and I only drink tea if it's really cold. I'd rather drink cold beverages.
10. I don't drink milk in any shape or form. I love dairy products but the most liquid dairy I can bare is butter milk. Milk makes me nauseous.
11. Einat means a spring of water in Hebrew and an eye. The origin of the name is from the bible. It is pronounced Ei - like the beginning of the number 8, Nat - like the word nut.
12. I love science fiction. I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate.
13. My favorite movie is Back to the Future. My sister and I watch the entire trilogy at least once a year. We know all three movies by heart.
14. I used to be a police officer for about five years. As part of my job when I was the officer in charge I had to check every dead body in my precinct and determine if the death was suspicious or not.
15. I once ate a crocodile, an antelope and a zebra. While I was in Kenya there was a speciality restaurant who served these kinds of meats, all under special permits from the government.
16. I take things personally. As someone who runs her own business that's not a very smart thing, but I can't help it. I always try to be very "it's not personal it's business" type of person, but it never works.
17. The state of tidiness in my house and craft studio is directly linked to the state of my brain. If the house or craft room are in too much of a mess, so is my brain and I can;t do anything before I tidy everything. So whenever I need to start a new project or come up with new ideas I need a tidy room so my brain will be clean of clutter.
18. I'm a cat person. I grew up with cats and I think they are amazing misunderstood animals. Unfortunately my husband is allergic so I don't have a cat in the house.
19. I don't believe in coincidences. The word occurrence in Hebrew is actually the words God made in a different order...
20. My husband's family and mine are connected in some weird ways...our mothers have the same name, my husband and I were born on the same month (April), as well as my father and brother in law (May). My mother and his sister were born on the same day!
21. I have really good teeth. In all my 43 years I never had a root canal, only fillings.
22. I hate roller coasters...
23. I can't work if it's quiet. I need music in the background to focus and create. However noise can drive me crazy and I can't do anything if it's noisy.
24. I love TV. Every few weeks I take a day off and spend the day watching TV. It helps my head stay focused and clear and not full of stress.
25. It took me a long time to call myself a designer and an artist. During the first year in business I introduced myself as a business owner who designs, but I couldn't refer to myself as a designer. It took a lot of self work to start believing in myself and in my talent.
26. It's very difficult for me to work on two projects at the same time. For example I would need to finish a video tutorial before I can start working on a class. I'm working on that because it sometimes makes my job difficult and my time badly managed.
27. I love boxes. I don't know why, but I love them...boxes of all shapes and sizes...
28. I go to sleep at 10 pm max, but I'm sometimes in bed by 8. At some point during the evening my brain just shuts down...My husband always jokes about it that I go to bed before the kids. But I wake up at 5 - 6 am...
29. I love to drive fast and I have no patience for slow drivers. My husband says I need a sports car...
30. I used to work as a dentist assistant, selling tickets in a movie theatre and an ice cream shop assistant. I was also a kindergarten assistant, house cleaner and a diplomat. I changed a lot of jobs because as it turned out I wasn't happy in any of them and I can't stay where I'm not happy. I guess if I'm doing this creative professional gig for the past 10 years I must be happy...I am!
How about you, want to share a few random facts we don't know about you?
Don't miss out! Keep up with all the crafty goodness by subscribing to the Einat Kessler creative newsletter